Frequently Asked Questions



1. Do I need a permit from POA to have a garage sale?


Yes, a permit is required for a garage sale. This is easy to do. Just e-mail, call or visit the Section 23 POA office.


ARTICLE II The conducting of more than two (2) yard, garage or similar sales in any twelve (12) month period shall be considered a business and is not permitted. A permit for such sales must be obtained from the Board of Directors prior to conducting each sale. Signs promoting such sales shall not exceed nine inches by twelve inches (9" x 12") and shall only be displayed from sunrise to sunset on the day(s) of the sale. No sale shall last longer than three (3) consecutive days.



2. Can I landscape the grassed circles / Cul-de-sacs? 


These areas are controlled by the Charlotte County and you must get permission from the county to landscape this area.


ARTICLE III …….. Grassed circles / cul-de-sacs, may be landscaped on approval by the County.



3. What are the requirements for maintaining vacant lots?


Lot Mowing

Vacant Lots are to be mowed eight (8) times per year in the months of March, May, June, July, August, September, October and December. Owners have the option of mowing the lot themselves, hire a contractor of their choice or elect to join the Association's Mowing Program. The Association's Mowing Program was adopted in 2014 and provides the convenience and reliability that ensures the mowing of the lot at an affordable cost. Lot owners should contact the POA office at 941-764-6674 for information on enrolling in the lot mowing program.


Clearing of Undesirable Vegetation

Undesirable vegetation such as Brazilian pepper trees, dead trees, overgrown trees, stumps, weeds, vines and vegetation that is encroaching upon neighboring properties and/or the greenbelt is required to be removed. Once these lots are identified the property owner will be notified of the necessity to remove the vegetation.



4. Do I need permission From the Section 23 POA to paint my house?


Yes, you need permission from the Section 23 POA if you plan to paint your house a different color. Take a color sample to the POA office for approval. You do not need approval if you are repainting your house the same color.


ARTICLE IV Exterior building colors that are repainted a different color than initially approved are subject to approval by the Board of Directors.



5. Can I have an above ground pool in Section 23?


No, above ground pools are not allowed in Section 23.


ARTICLE X Above ground pools are prohibited.



6. Can I have a shed on my property?


No, sheds are not allowed in Section 23. Neither are gazebos, green-houses, tents, lean-tos, tree houses, play-houses.


ARTICLE XIII OTHER STRUCTURES No temporary buildings or other structures shall be erected in PGI Section 23. Construction of such structures as; gazebos, green-houses, sheds, tents, lean-tos, tree houses, play houses, etc. is prohibited. A single exception to the use or temporary structures is a portable sanitary toilet, which may be placed on the property being improved and remain thereon while active construction of the residence is taking place.



7. Do I need a permit from the POA to install pavers or paint my driveway?


Yes, a permit is required. Contact the office with paver information or a sample paint color.


ARTICLE IV No alteration or change in the exterior appearance of a building driveway shall be made without the express approval of the board of directors in writing. Moreover, driveways that are painted, repainted or color coated are subject to approval by the board of directors.



8. Do I need permission from the POA to install a fence or enclosure?


Yes, a permit is required for a fence or enclosure. Look here on the website for “POA Permit Applications” under the Document tab.


ARTICLE XII Fences: All fences are restricted to the four (4) foot height limitation. The height of fences shall be measured from the property elevation. No fence shall extend beyond the property line, or forward of the front corners of the building into the front yard, or as in the case of corner property, outward from the sides of the building toward the road. Fences shall be kept painted and in good repair. Enclosures: Masonry, metal, wooden or vinyl enclosures may be constructed for the purpose of shielding from sight garbage containers, air conditioning units, pool equipment and rain barrels. Enclosures are to be constructed as an extension to the main building and limited to the five (5) foot height limitation and shall not enclose more than sixty-four (64) square feet per residence. The height of enclosures shall be measured from the property elevation. No enclosure shall extend beyond the property line. Such enclosures shall be the same color or a color complimentary to the color of the main building. Enclosures shall be kept clean, in good repair and painted if wooden.



9. What kinds of signs are permitted?


A One (1) “For Sale”, For Rent” and/or “No Trespassing” .per property is permitted measuring no more than 6” x 8”. One standard security company sign is permitted per dwelling. Political signs are not permitted.


ARTICLE XIV Except as otherwise authorized herein, no sign shall be erected on the properties or visibly displayed from the inside of the building, unless the placement, purpose and size or the sign conforms with the provisions hereinafter stated. There shall not be more than one (1) For Sale" or "For Rent" sign and one (1) "No Trespassing" sign on any lot at any time, and no such sign shall be larger than six inches wide and eight inches long (6" x 8") in size. One industry standard security company sign is permitted per dwelling.



10. Where are the rules for storing trash or recycle containers?


The rules are found in Article XVII below.


ARTICLE XVII GARBAGE AND TRASH No home site, vacant lot, easement, swale, right of way or any part of the Common Property, shall be used or maintained as a dumping ground for rubbish, trash, garbage, grass cuttings, plantings, and tree trimmings, building materials, soil, oil, fuel or other waste. All trash and garbage containers and oil and bottle gas tanks shall be underground, screened by shrubs or placed in walled-in areas (enclosures) at the rear or side of the building so that they are not visible from the adjoining properties or the roadways. The height of above ground enclosures shall be In compliance with the restrictions Imposed on walls, hedges, fences and enclosures set forth In Article XII. Trash, garbage, tree trimmings and building materials to be trashed shall also be hidden from view prior to being placed at the edge of the roadway, which shall be no sooner than the day proceeding the day of pick-up by the removal agency. The burning of any rubbish, trash, garbage, grass, plantings, tree trimmings or building materials is prohibited. No vehicle, whether disabled, wrecked, junked or without a current license plate, including maintenance equipment, shall be stored or openly parked on the properties. No other trashed item may be hung or otherwise displayed outside the building, including but not limited to; scrap metal items, discarded toys, bicycles, appliances, furniture, household furnishings, building materials, ladders, lawn and garden tools or other items that could distract from the beauty of the property. Usable items of the nature described should be properly stored out of sight. Well maintained lawn furniture and/or other attractive comfort additions to the property that do not fit the category of rubbish, but rather enhance the property are accepted.



11. What are the requirements if I wish to rent my property?


The requirement for renting property in Section 23 is listed below.


RENTAL POLICY Purpose: To establish property owner requirements and responsibilities in the event of property being used for rental.

Scope: All property owners are required to be members of the Section 23 Property Owners Association and to abide by the Association’s By-Laws and Deed Restrictions. Property owners are also required to pay Association assessments duly levied.

PROCEDURE: If a property owner rents their home, the follow shall apply: 1. The property owner must inform the Section 23 Property Owners Association in writing (via letter, e-mail, or fax) of each renter’s name and a telephone contact. A Renter Information Form is available on the POA website or at the office. 2. The rental agreement must clearly state that the property is part of a deed-restricted community and that all Deed Restrictions will be enforced. A copy of the Deed Restrictions may be obtained on the POA website or at the office. 3. Maintenance of the property and adherence to the Deed Restrictions is the responsibility of the property owner, who will be notified if violations occur. The renter will also receive a copy of the courtesy letter. 4. If the Deed Restriction violations are not corrected in a timely manner, the property owner will be liable to reimburse the Property Owners Association for any costs associated with correcting the violation. Adopted: June 23, 2016